Monday 17 September 2007

Crack: Mortuary



According to whoever it is that uploaded it to YouTube, this is a rare PSA from the 1980s. Okey - dokey. And as we can see, it's another offering from the Partnership for a Drug - Free America, as was my first ever post. Which was a month ago now. Cool.

Anyway, short but sweet. It was made before the whole political correctness thing, obviously; so if you happen to be a coroner, don't be too offended by the implication that you are an insane crackhead who needs a dentist fast. I know it's a bit like criticizing the paint job on the Titanic, but I'm more worried about what kind of mortuary would employ a nutter like this in the first place.

I think this would be a decent premise for a horror film, or at least better than the just - released remake of Halloween. And obviously it would have to be about something other than crack. As a PSA, however, it's a little bit too weird. "HELLO! Look at me! I work with dead bodies and I'm a crack dealer on the side! So when my customers die because I gave them shit drugs, there's no questions asked! Fancy a hit?" Sure. Whatever you say.

3 comments:

JillC said...

That PSA reminds me of the PSA were the pusher turns into a snake at the end. I remember my younger sister (who was far too young at the time to have any idea what smack or weed was) being terrified of it (as well as bald people such as the baliff on the US TV show Night Court...I think his name was bull).

Also does anyone remember the US drink-driving ad with the people turning into skeletons as soon as the driver switches on the ignition (as well as the Michael Jackson music in the background)?

JillC said...

That PSA reminds me of the PSA were the pusher turns into a snake at the end. I remember my younger sister (who was far too young at the time to have any idea what smack or weed was) being terrified of it (as well as bald people such as the baliff on the US TV show Night Court...I think his name was bull).

Also does anyone remember the US drink-driving ad with the people turning into skeletons as soon as the driver switches on the ignition (as well as the Michael Jackson music in the background)?

piflover said...

Yes, I remember the skeleton one! It used to be at the PDFA website before they took it down.

The "Snake" one is actually my sister's favourite PSA. I was going to post it on her birthday, December 2nd, but should I do it before that? I don't think she'd mind.