Thursday 16 August 2007

Introduction

Taking a lead from this geezer, I decided to start my very own blog. He loves horror movies, I love Public Information Films (PIFs) and Public Service Announcements (PSAs). What are they? Have a look here and here. You probably remember some of these from years back: Charley Says? Tufty Squirrel? This is Your Brain on Drugs? Drink, Drive, Bloody Idiot? Either way, I just can't get enough of government - produced, not - for - profit advertising.

Well, it beats being a crack addict at least.

So, the idea is that every day I watch and review a different PIF/PSA from around the world. I'm in the UK, where you can buy archive footage from the Central Office of Information (the government body responsible for commissioning public information films), but I might feel a bit stupid to phone up and say "Hello, how much do you charge for crackly old propaganda films from donkey's years ago?" Any suggestions on how to approach this matter are welcome, otherwise I'll stick to good old YouTube.

Sit back, enjoy and try to learn something. Or just have a laugh at how hilariously bad some of these old clips were. Posts are tagged according to country (they'll usually be from the UK or USA, but I'll try to get hold of some international ones), decade of first broadcast if I know when that was, and subject.

No comments: